Edmondo Borasio MD
Dr. Borasio was born in 1974 in Torino and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Torino before specializing in ophthalmology there. He then moved to Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, for 3 consecutive full-length fellowships, in 1) Cataract Surgery, 2) Refractive Surgery, 3) Cornea and External Eye Diseases. His main fields of expertise became corneal transplantation, keratoconus surgical treatment (CCL, Femtosecond laser ICRS), complex cataract surgery, laser refractive surgery, phakic lens implantation (ICL), pterygium surgery, research on astigmatism, biometry and IOL calculations in post-laser refractive surgery eyes.
• EYE PRO Studio Oculistico, Torino, Italy, Founder, Medical Director
• Ospedale Beauregard, Aosta, Italy, Consultant Corneal Specialist
• Clinica Baviera, Torino, Italy, Consultant Cataract and Refractive Surgery Specialist (freelance)
Most recent positions held:
• From July 2007 to October 2014: he relocated from London to Dubai (UAE) as the founding team of Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai (MEHD) where he set up and headed the Cornea and Laser Refractive Surgery service. He performed the first corneal transplant in MEHD and Dubai Health Care City (DHCC).
• From January 2015 to July 2020 he was head of the Corneal and Refractive Surgery Department at Burjeel Hospital (Abu Dhabi, UAE).
• From August 2018 to July 2020, he was head of the Ophthalmology Department at Burjeel Day Surgery Center (BDSC) in Al Reem Island (Abu Dhabi, UAE).
• From 2018 to July 2020, he was “Medico di Riferimento” of the Italian Embassy in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
• From September 2018 to July 2020, was “Medico di Fiducia” (“Official and Trusted doctor”) of the Italian Embassy in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
• In July 2020 he moved back to his hometown Torino, Italy, where he set up his private practice office.
Work in Ophthalmology:
⁃ In 2006 Dr Borasio developed the BESSt formula for IOL power calculation in LASIK/PRK eyes.
⁃ The BESSt formulas were integrated into a software program (BESSt 2 IOL Power Calculator) and into an iOS App (BESSt 2 IOL Power Calculator).
. Developed new post-refractive surgery formulas: Borasio Myopic Regression (BMR) and Borasio Hypermetropic Regression (BHR), both unpublished.
⁃ In 2009, he developed “EYEPRO”, the first ophthalmological App released for the iPhone/iPad. Subsequently he released many other Apps “VA Converter”, “BESSt 2”, “AstigMaster”, “AstigPLOT”, “Eye Sketch” and lastly “EB Toric”.
Publications and Research:
⁃ He has authored several peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
- He has been involved in collaborative research projects with Moorfields Eye Hospital (London), the Institute of Ophthalmology (London) and several others.
⁃ He has been a Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Refractive Surgery (JRS) from 2008-2012 and is currently serving as reviewer for many peer-reviewed journals.
Cooperation with the Dubai Health Authority (DHA).
Dr Borasio is not affiliated with any pharmaceutical company.